TITLE The Marmion Tower (SOLD)

MEDIUM
Oil on canvas
SIZE
91cm x 61cm

The Marmion Tower is in the North Yorkshire village of West Tanfield. The Marmion family owned the manor for much of the 13th and 14th centuries, but the gatehouse picture here dates from the 15th century. It was probably built by William Fitz Hugh, who died in 1452.

After the death of his grandson’s wife, the manor passed to the Parr family. Later alterations, in the 16th century, were probably made by William Parr, who was Marquis of Northampton and brother to Katherine Parr, the sixth wife of Henry VIII.

The tower and church sit by the river Ure making for an idyllic, and oft painted scene. Turner made three sketches here including two quick sketches of the Marmion Tower and the church from the left bank of the river and a more considered double-page sketch from the other side of the river.